WHAT IS NMT?
Neurologic Music Therapy is the therapeutic application of music to address cognitive, sensory, and motor dysfunction due to neurologic disease. Neurologic Music Therapy is research-based. Its treatment techniques are built on the scientific knowledge of music perception and production and its effects on nonmusical brain and behavior functions.
IS NMT FOR ME?
Each client is unique with needs that vary, but research results and clinical experiences attest to the viability of Neurologic Music Therapy even in those who may not respond well to other treatment approaches.
POPULATIONS WE SERVE
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s
- Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- Cerebral Palsy
- Parkinson’s and Huntington’s
- Traumatic Brain Injury
NMT TECHNIQUES WE USE
- Rhythmic Auditory Stimulation (RAS)
- Patterned Sensory Enhancement (PSE)
- Therapeutic Instrumental Music Performance (TIMP)
- Melodic Intonation Therapy (MIT)
- Rhythmic Speech Cueing (RSC)
- Vocal Intonation Therapy (VIT)
Source: Thaut, M. H. (2005). Rhythm, Music and the Brain. New York and London: Taylor and Francis Group.
Big Sky Music Therapy maintains a very specific intention – to discover the gifts beyond a diagnosis.